Become a Fan

Pages

My MSI Mega Book s430x has come back from the dead

A few months ago I have encountered a very strange problem with my laptop msi mega book s430x. It started to hang or freeze during POST mode and at some point it won't display the next time I turn it on. But there are also times when it works fine but most of it, are not. So what I did is, I first contacted the shop where I bought it and ask if it still under warranty but unfortunately it has already been expired a few months ago. I have left no choice but to open and try my luck to fix this.

And so the next day, I scheduled an operation for my laptop msi mega book s430x. I went to the official website of msi to check for new bios upgrades, and yes I found a newer update. I downloaded the newest bios update so I can start flashing the new bios.

I was able to successfully flash the new bios update but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. The next thing I did was, I carefully unscrew my laptop to see and check if the fans are working. And yes it seems to be working fine. But because of desperation, I have proceeded more unto the mainboard and clean a few dirt and debris that were stocked. Again, it doesn't work and worst of all, there were no more display. After hours of figuring it out, I have given up and considered it as expendable and dead. I left my laptop on my stock room a few months right after I declared it dead. I contacted a few cebu laptop services to check for their services, but it's quite expensive which cost around 4k to 5k. They're going to find a replacement for msi megabook s430x motherboard.

 So my laptop was stock for about 3 to 4 months.

Three to four months after, a friend contacted me to have her laptop check because it'll shuts off a moment after it'll start up. I was able to fix her problem by cleaning the her laptop fan. You can checkout here how I was able to open here Sony VGN-CS13M laptop.

Blessing in guise, I have thought of checking my laptop back again. I disassembled the entire piece exposing the entire motherboard. I've removed the processor and the heatsink as well as the fan. I've cleaned up almost everything using lacquer thinner. I didn't really think if this would work at all but luckily it shows signs of coming back from the dead. It starts up and loads to windows. Later on to check if its really well, I have reformatted and reinstalled windows xp.  Successfully installed and seems to have one problem - the touchpad is no longer working. I guess I could get back on this the next time around since I could still use USB mouse. Rather than messing it up again.

So glad it came back from the dead.


For those looking for msi megabook s430x driver - you can download them here.

8 comments:

what if the MsI website? my laptop too was confirmed dead (no power after switching on ) for 3 weeks.. left it my office table just for decoration only. then 2 days ago, when i decided to repair it myself , i was surprised when i switched it on, it already has a power.. :(

..by the way , what does P1 button means? it is found beside the power button :( .. thanks :)

the MSI s430x notebook is using AMD processor, which in the pass has been known to overheat and cause failures specially in laptops and notebooks. Before I bought my MSI s4330x unit I asked the salesman at PC Corner, if I will be having problems with overheating of this particular notebook. He said, MSI and AMD has resolved the heating problems and this particular notebook will not have that problem. Obviously, they lied cause a lot of people has been having the same problem I have and that is the overheating causing damage to the video display chip by Nvidia I have made two attempts to get it fixed by a laptop technician but the problem keeps coming back. MSI service center suggest I replace the whole motherboard. My notebook was not even a year old and hardly used. I suggest staying away from MSI and AMD notebook/laptop products if you don't want to get ripped off and headaches.

same here... its been months, i have to wait for a luck when i can switch on my laptop..too bad, I am broke I can't afford to get a technician to help me . And worst, TESDA has no more scholarship for pc trouble shooting, so, I can't fixed it myself. :(

Having it fix is expensive and same as buying parts especially msi laptop motherboards. Too bad we're been a victim of this.

hey guys i, currently working on a laptop same model as what you guys are talking about. and the same exact problem.. no display as well, seems like graphics chip is the most delicate in this. less than a year too when this problem came up.

To all of you guys, the main problem here is not the MSI nor the AMD, its the NVIDIA. Same thing happens to a lot of brand of notebook even with Intel Processor, made with NVIDIA chips. NVIDIA chips heats up just like its video card counterpart for desktop, but the cooling system is limited by the size of the laptop. Try to look at new models of laptop nowadays, mostly have ATI graphics, owned by AMD..

It's sept 2020 my aunt gave this laptop to me w/o the charger and I don't know where to start . I wonder if I could just use the monitor for converting it into tv monitor cause after reading your comments i hesitated pursuing to run and eventually upgrade this laptop.Any suggestions guyz?

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More